BAL SAHITYA PURASKAR
THE ANUUAL SAHITYA AKADEMI BAL SAHITYA PURASKAR RULES
1. Subject to the provision of rule 1(2), there shall be an award every year for the most outstanding book by an Indian author, first published in any of the languages recognized by the Sahitya Akademi (hereafter referred to as the Akademi) during the five years prior to the year, immediately preceding the year of the award.
Illustration: For the award of 2010, books published between 2004 and 2008 would be considered.
2. The award for any language may not be given during any year if, in the opinion of the Jury constituted in pursuance of rule 5 (1), no book published in that language during the ten years preceding the year of the award merits the award. However during the initial five years i.e. from 2010 to 2019, the award may be given to an author based on his total contribution to Children's Literature if no book is considered suitable for the award
3. The award shall consist of such amount as the Akademi may from time to time decide besides a citation that brings out, briefly, the book's signifi- cance and its author's contribution to his/her language and literature.
4. The author must be of Indian nationality.
5. The award will be considered only if there is minimum of three books in the final stage of selection.
Criteria of Eligibility for the Award
- (1) In order to be eligible for the award, the Children's book/may be a creative must be an outstanding contribution to the language and literature to which it belongs. The book may be a creative work but must not be
- a work of translation; or
- an anthology of multiple authors; or
- a treatise or research work prepared for a university degree or any examination; or
the work of an author who is a member of the Executive Board of the Akademi. or
- a recipient of Bhasha Samman; or
- the Fellow of Sahitya Akademi;
- An adaptation or recreation of any myth or story presented for children is eligible.
- A fresh collection of writings published earlier in book form, or revised editions of books published earlier, are not eligible for Award. However, if at least 75% of the work included in a collection has been published for the first time in book form, it can be considered for Award.
- Any section of an integrated work is complete by itself as a book can be considered for the award.
- A posthumous publication is eligible for Award only if the author has died within the five year period stipulated for the award or later.
- A book shall be disqualified for the award if it is established to the satisfaction of the Executive Board that canvassing has been done by the author.
The book is meant for the target readership of 9 to 16 years age group.
Illustration: An author who has died before 2004 would not be eligible for the award of 2010.
Preparation of the Ground list and obtaining recommendations from members of the Language Advisory Board
- The Akademi shall have every year a ground list prepared of eligible books of each recognized language. Preparation of the ground list shall be entrusted to two experts.The remuneration of experts shall be such as may, from time to time, be decided by the Akademi.
- Each Language Advisory Board member shall send a panel of not more than five names and the President of the Akademi (hereafter referred to as the President) shall choose the expert or experts out of this panel.
In preparing the ground list, the experts shall strictly conform to the criteria of eligibility laid down in these rules. The ground list so prepared along with the ground list of previous year shall be sent to all the members of the concerned Language Advisory Board (including the Convener) with the request to recommend two titles each by such date as may be specified by the Akademi. A member may select:
- both the titles from the ground list; or
one title from the ground list and the other on his/her own; or
- both the titles on his/her own;
The Preliminary Panel and its Functions
- The Preliminary Panel shall consist of ten Referees. These Referees shall be nominated by the President after considering suggestions of the members of the Language Advisory Board concerned.
- The recommendations received from members of the Language Advisory Board shall be compiled and sent to each Referee.
- Each Referee should recommend two books. These titles may be selected either out of the list sent in pursuance of rule 4 (2) above or by the Referee on his/her own.
The Jury and its Functions
- The recommendations of Referees in the Prelimi- nary Panel shall be considered by a three-member Jury. The Jury members shall be selected by the President after considering the recommendations in this behalf by the members of the Language Advisory Board concerned.
The Akademi shall purchase the books recommended by the Referees in the Preliminary Panel and send them to the Jury members and to the Convener.
- The Convener shall act as the link between the Jury and the Akademi. He/she will ensure that the meeting meeting of the Jury is conducted properly and satis- factorily and will countersign the report of the Jury. Jury. In the absence of the Convener, President may nominate a General Council or Advisory Board Member to convene the Jury meeting.
- The Jury members shall, either by consensus or by majority, recommend a book or an author based on his total contribution for the first five year period of this award. All the members have to attend the meeting,however, only in case of emergency he/she may convey his/her views in writing. He/she should be provided with the facility of participating in the discussion over the phone.
Declaration of Award
- If the time limit for submission of the recommendations is not observed by a member of the Language Advisory Board or by a Referee, the Akademi shall presume that he or she has no recommendation to make and shall proceed accordingly unless, in any particular case, it is in a position to extend the time limit and actually does so.
- The award ceremony shall be held on such date and at such place as the Executive Board/President may decide.
- In the event of the death of an award-winning author /writer before conferment of the award, it shall be given to his/her spouse or to a legal heir.