THE ANUUAL SAHITYA AKADEMI YUVA PURASKAR RULES
- There shall be an award every year for the first book or the best book by a young Indian author, whose age is 35 or below on 1st January of the year of the award, first published in any of the languages recognised by the Sahitya Akademi (hereafter referred to as the Akademi).
- The award shall consist of such amount as the Akademi may from time to time decide besides a citation that brings out, briefly, the book’s significance and its author’s contribution to his/her language and literature.
- Where two or more books are found to be of equal merit, the total literary contribution and standing of their authors shall be taken into consideration in deciding the award. The decision of members of the Jury is final in this regard.
Criteria of Eligibility for the Award
- In order to be eligible for the award, the book must be an outstanding contribution to the language and literature to which it belongs. The book may be a creative or a critical work, but must not be
- a work of translation; or
- an abridgement, or a compilation, or an annotation; or
- a treatise or research work prepared for a university degree or any examination;
- the work of an author who has earlier won an award from the Akademi (other than the Bal Sahitya Puraskar /Translation Prize); or
- the work of an author who is a member of the Executive Board of the Akademi;
- beyond the age of 35 years on 1st January of the year of the award.
- An incomplete work may be considered for the award only if the part that comprises the book is complete in itself.
- A posthumous publication is not eligible for Award.
- A book shall be disqualified for the award if it is established to the satisfaction of the Executive Board that canvassing has been done by the author.