Price For Translation
Procedure for obtaining recommendations for Price For Translation :-
For Sahitya Akademi Prize For Translation
- As soon as, may be after the commencement of a year, all the recognised literary associations of each language shall be requested to make recommendations of not exceeding three titles for the award during the year in the prescribed proforma.
- Each language Advisory Board will nominate a person to prepare a ground list containing titles of translations published during the period referred to in rule 2 (i). He may be paid such amount as the Akademi may from time to time decide. If, for any reason, the nomination is delayed, the President will nominate a person and in the event of default on his part, another person to undertake preparation of the ground list.
- A request of the nature referred to in rule 3 (i) should be sent to all members of the Language Advisory Board inviting recommendations in the prescribed proforma. They should be requested to recommend not more than three books each. A copy of the ground list referred to in rule 3 (ii) should be supplied to each member of the Advisory Board along with the ground list of the previous year.
- The recommendations received
in pursuance of rule 3 (i) and 3 (iii) shall be compiled and placed before the Selection Committee referred to
in rule 4 (i) along with a copy of the ground list prepared in pursuance of rule 3 (ii).
Constitution of the Selection Committee and its functions
- There shall be, for each year and for each language, a Selection Committee comprising three members. The members shall be selected by the President of the Akademi out of a panel of seven names recommended by the Language Advisory Board.
- Five copies of each of the books recommended by members of the Advisory Board and the literary associations shall be purchased.
- A copy each of the books purchased shall be sent to each member of the Selection Committee and to the Convener.
- A meeting of the Selection Committee shall be held either at the headquarters of the State or at the Regional Office. The Convener of the Language Advisory Board will be the Convener of the meeting. He/she will ensure that the Committee's deliberations are according to the provision of these rules and shall countersign the report of the Selection Committee.
- The members of the Selection Committee shall either by consensus or by majority recommend a book for the Translation prize. They may also recommend that, in their opinion, no book is eligible for the award during the year. In the event of a member not being able to attend the meeting, he/she may convey his/her views in writing, but the meeting of the Selection Committee shall not be invalidated on the ground that one of the members did not attend it or did not convey his/her views in writing.
- Recommendations of the Selection Committees will be placed before the Executive Board for a decision.
- The members of the Selection Committee and the Convener shall be paid, besides actual travelling allowance, such remunerations as the Akademi may decide.
Declaration of the Award and its conferment
- The award shall be announced after approval by the Executive Board. The names of the members of the Selection Committee shall be made public simultaneously with the announcement of the award.
- The award shall be conferred on such date and at such place as the Executive Board may decide.
- In the event of the death of an award-winning translator before conferment of the award, it shall be given to his/her spouse or to a legal heir.
- If any difficulty arises in the implementation of any of the provisions of these Rules, the Secretary of the Akademi shall be competent to remove the same in a manner not inconsistent with these Rules.
Sahitya Akademi Award
Procedure for selecting a book for Sahitya Akademi Award are as follows:
- Subject to the provision of rule 1(2), there shall be an award every year for the most outstanding book by an Indian author, first published in any of the languages recognised by the Sahitya Akademi (hereafter referred to as the Akademi) during the three years prior to the year, immediately preceding the year of the award.
Illustration : For the award of 2004, books published between 2000 and 2002 would be considered.
- The award for any language may not be given during any year if, in the opinion of the Jury constituted in pursuance of rule 5 (1), no book published in that language during the three years preceding the year of the award merits the award.
- The award shall consist of such amount as the Akademi may from time to time decide besides a citation that brings out, briefly, the book's significance and its author's contribution to his/her language and literature.
- Where two or more books are found to be of equal merit, the total literary contribution and standing of their authors shall be taken into consideration in deciding the award.
Preparation of the Ground list and obtaining recommendations from members of the Language Advisory Board
- The Akademi shall have every year a ground list prepared of eligible books of each recognized language. Preparation of the ground list shall be entrusted to an expert or, at the discretion of the President, to two experts. In the case of Sanskrit, the number of experts shall not be less than two or more than three. The remuneration of experts shall be such as may, from time to time, be decided by the Akademi.
- Each Language Advisory Board member shall send a panel of not more than five names and the President of the Akademi (hereafter referred to as the President) shall choose the expert or experts out of this panel.
- In preparing the ground list, the expert or experts shall strictly conform to the criteria of eligibility laid down in these rules. The ground list so prepared along with the ground list of the previous year shall be sent to all the members of the concerned Language Advisory Board (including the Convener) with the request to recommend two titles each by such date as may be specified by the Akademi. A member may select:
- Both the titles from the ground list,
- One title from the ground list and the other on his own,
- Both the titles on his own.
The Preliminary Panel and its Functions
- The Preliminary Panel shall consist of ten Referees. These Referees shall be nominated by the President after considering suggestions of the members of the Language Advisory Board concerned.
- The recommendations received from members of the Language Advisory Board shall be compiled and sent to each Referee.
- Each Referee should recommend two books. These titles may be selected either out of the list sent in pursuance of rule 4 (2) above or by the Referee on his own.
- Each Referee shall be paid such remuneration as the Akademi may determine from time to time.
The Jury and its Functions
- The recommendations of Referees in the Preliminary Panel shall be considered by a three-member Jury. The Jury members shall be selected by the President after considering the recommendations in this behalf by the members of the Language Advisory Board concerned.
- The Akademi shall purchase the books recommended by the Referees in the Preliminary Panel and send them to the Jury members and to the Convener.
- The Convener shall act as the link between the Jury and the Akademi. He/she will ensure that the meeting of the Jury is conducted properly and satisfactorily and will countersign the report of the Jury.
- The Jury members shall, either by consensus or by majority, recommend a book for the award. They may also recommend that, in their opinion, no book is eligible for the award during the year. In the event of a member not being able to attend the meeting, he/she may convey his/her view in writing.
- The members of the Jury and the Convener shall be paid, besides actual travelling allowance, daily allowance at rates payable to members of the Executive Board.
Declaration of Award
The recommendation of the Jury shall be placed before the Executive Board for formal approval and announcement of the award. The names of the Jury members and the shortlisted books in the final stage shall be made public simultaneously with the announcement of the Award.
- If the time limit for submission of the recommendations is not observed by a member of the Language Advisory Board or by a Referee, the Akademi shall presume that he or she has no recommendation to make and shall proceed accordingly unless, in any particular case, it is in a position to extend the time limit and actually does so.
- The award ceremony shall be held on such date and at such place as the Executive Board may decide.